Monday, October 01, 2007

Uly Powa!

So last week my bike needed to go in, for what I thought would be a warranty claim regarding a sticky fifth gear. Well this story isn't about that, but let's just say it was a dodgy repair by a certain dealer after the bike had fallen over.

Naturally I took the bike to the new official Buell dealer in Tygervalley, and I must say although they charged me, and rightfully so as it wasn't their fault, for the work on the gearbox, I was treated like a king, and I was given an Ulysses XB12X for the day.

Now when I first test rode my XB9 almost exactly a year ago, I tried to just take a seat on the Uly and found it much too high to be comfortable. Stupid me also never bothered riding any of the other 12's because it was a personal ultimatum of make or break on the XB9.

Anyway, I got on the bike, which is the Yellow variety of 2007, and was pleasantly surprised that although the bike was very high, the suspension was quite soft and I was able to tip toe both feet, and put one down flat without error. Throughout the day I didn't once feel intimidated by the height as I had expected to be, and even U-turns which normally freak me out on my own bike were a pleasure.

The first obstruction of the day occurred when I realised that I don't have my Tail Bag on the Uly, and thus had nowhere to put my stuff. Fortunately I've kept my eyes open regarding all that is Buell, and I was aware of the often commented massive space under the seat. Problem is that I needed to get the seat off first, which appeared an impossible task.

Like an idiot I was using the keyhole release in the same location as my own bike, this turned out to be a helmet hook, and quite a laugh for the staff that came to help me. Turned out the keyhole is in fact at the back of the bike, but before you can lift the seat you need to flip up the stock backrest. Now this thing is really clever, once you know how it works, otherwise it's bloody impossible. Basically the backrest flips in three directions, forwards onto the rear part of the one piece seat when not carrying a passenger, upright for use as a backrest when carrying a passenger, or backwards which I presume is for fitting luggage and more than likely the official panniers and top box. The trick is that you need to insert the key, or any other workable object into a little hole at it's side, to unlock the mechanism. Once someone shows you, or you read the manual you realise how nice this actually works.

Well that sorted out, and after checking that there's nothing else too different to my own bike, I got access to the ample space beneath the seat. Ample meaning there is in fact any kind of space beneath the seat, unlike my Lightning, and it's bigger than anything I've seen anywhere else. Sure there must be other bikes out there with more space, but I haven't experienced them yet. Nice to know that it's perfectly secure, enclosed on all sides with no chance of anything disappearing from a hard ride as is the case on most bikes. I would venture a guess that it can hold as much as my Buell Tail Bag, but in a flatter format. More than enough space for your wallet, phone, keys and possibly a windbreaker as well.

So I'm on the bike, ready to go. Pushing it backwards with my short legs was a bit of a hassle, but nothing major. I've learnt to push my bike from the front gripping the bars, so I'm sure I could get it out of anything if the need arises. It does feel a lot heavier to the push, probably because it's so tall.

First thing I noticed was a superbly soft and easy to operate clutch, not once through the day did I feel fatigue setting in on my left hand. The second thing was not so pleasant, it appears the throttle cable had a bit of slack it in. No biggie, but a little distracting when you are trying to get to know a new bike.

And then it happened...

The incredible torque straight off idle hit me right in the chest, and I almost launched myself over the pavement. Where the hell did that come from? I stopped, thinking maybe I did something wrong, possibly dropped the clutch too quickly. Tried pulling off again as I normally would...and BAM torque punch to the face. Jeez I've read about the monster torque on the 12's, but this was ridiculous.

Eventually I got away in one piece, with a massive smile on my face. This was going to be a very good day after all. The exhaust note isn't very exciting, and I can't remember my stock pipe ever sounding so boring, but it might just be bad memories I've chosen to repress.

Once you get use to the over the top torque from anywhere in the rev range, it sinks in that the delivery is in fact rather linear, and not very exciting. One gear feels exactly like the next, with no rise in power as you travel up the tacho, and your speed is the only indication that you are in fact accelerating. Of course engine braking is a whole new ball game, and shifting down to the wrong gear is like hitting a brick wall. In this respect my XB9 feels a lot quicker, even though I'm guessing the two bikes will be equally fast in real world terms. With a little bit of work, like a new muffler and the RACE goodies from Buell I'm sure it would be a little more fun to open her up, but in the stock arrangement you just putter about in any gear with no need to push on.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's not that it's a chore to ride or anything like that, simply that in direct comparison I feel the 984cc engine is a little more peaky, which might not be the best all round option, but certainly accounts for an adrenaline rush.

Handling is phenomenally different. I expected it to feel almost exactly the same as my CityX, considering it's mostly the same frame with a few minor changes, the same but longer swingarm, and most importantly exactly the same tyres. What I failed to recall is what a phenomenal difference handlebars and riding position can make to what is essentially almost the same bike. Suspension also plays a major role in the handling matter, and with the longer travel suspension it makes quite the difference.

I found that the bike is very fast steering, and makes my Lightning feel slow in comparison. Quite strange really, since you expect a bigger heavier bike to do quite the opposite. The bike dropped into corners, almost before I was even ready for them. It appears that you can do anything via small inputs to the handlebars, and hardly need to change riding stance, as the bike is done with the corner long before you even get a chance to get your ass off the seat.

Sadly I never checked the tyre pressures before departing, so I can't make any scientific comparisons on that matter. Also not being a regular duellie I wasn't exactly brave enough to take it offroad, and the best it got was a little bit of wet grass which was interesting enough to get me on and off pretty quickly.

Initially I struggled to find a comfortable riding position, mostly because of the strange contours in the seat, which try to force you into one place. One of the great things about my Lightning is that I can change my riding and seating position completely depending on my mood, which is not the case with the Uly. Also I've become quite accustomed to riding feet up, so the large pegs on the Uly were a little strange getting use to. However I write all of this off due to myself being full of nonsense, and not the fault of the bike. After the day's ride I was very comfortable, and asked myself over and over again why I never took the liberty of testing one when I had the chance.

I didn't have a enough riding time to fill her up, so I can't say anything about fuel consumption, however from what I've read they are incredibly frugal and offer quite a long range due to the larger frame.

Passenger comfort should be some of the best around. I took a very tall and heavy friend around the parking lot and I felt very much in control, and he claims it is quite comfortable. That seat is like a living room couch, you could fit the whole family on the bloody thing. Rear preload adjustment is made very easy with a large knob, so changing suspension for different weight requirements takes some minor calculation and less than a minute of tuning.

Touring should be an absolute pleasure, but can become costly. The official Buell panniers and top box amount to just over 10% of the bike's purchase cost. Granted, this is the case with most manufacturers, so comes with the territory. I have only read good things about those boxes, and they appear quite sturdy and sexy on the bike. There is an official taller screen available as well, which replaces the top part of the two piece windscreen, and appears to be a clip on solution.

Mechanically the bike is identical to my own, with the only noticeable difference being a softer clutch and what felt like a smoother transmission. I did notice that I felt a little more heat under my seat, not uncomfortably so, but still noticeable. I doubt that the engine difference is the cause of the additional heat, and the only other difference is that most of the electronics are positioned directly under your crotch, whereas the battery is in that space on my bike, and the electronics towards the pillion part of the seat, which on the Uly is the open boot space. Another interesting thing is that the Diagnostics/ECU/DDFI/Whatever connector is accessible from the outside the bike, without taking off the seat, which is strange really since the seat is so easy to remove.

Now I better stop rambling, before I start talking nonsense.

Overall I was left very impressed with this bike, and looking back I thought maybe I should have rather bought one of these. It will make an excellent commuter, firstly because it's so comfortable, secondly because that monstrous torque will let you putter along in top gear all day, and lastly because it's probably lighter on juice.

However, the moment I got back onto my Lightning I remembered why I loved it so much the first time I demo'd one. The riding position is extreme, not like a superbike but rather in the unique Buell way of things. And I immediately realised what made the Uly so different, the high seat and bars make you feel like you are sitting inside the bike, where the Lightning makes it feel like you are on top of the world, but not like a fully faired superbike.

Instead you are naked and most importantly free.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Excellent write up Sauron.
Now you understand better how much I value the torque on the Kawasaki ZX10R, once you've had it, you dont want anything less.

Anonymous said...

Cool write up there mate. That Buell sounds like a blast to ride.

Anonymous said...

Great write mate. I'm just going to get my uly in two days and I'm happy to read you up.